Tavern on the Green is Manhattan’s glittering showplace of fantasy and beauty. The restaurant is situated in a setting overlooking Central Park with the city skyline as a backdrop. The 1,500 seat, six dining room restaurant offers excellent cuisine and a magical environment of fine paintings, etched glass mirrors, chandeliers and hand cut rafters. Almost every room is surrounded with gigantic windows which allow guests to look out into the park and lush gardens which are filled with illuminated trees and Chinese lanterns . Classical pianists entertain diners nightly in the Crystal and Chestnut rooms.

The original Tavern on the Green was built in 1870 to house sheep. The sheep grazed in Central Park’s Sheep Meadow. The structure remained for 65 years when parks commissioner Robert Moses decided the building should be torn down and relocated the sheep to Brooklyn’s Prospect Park. In its place a restaurant was constructed which was named Tavern on the Green. It was opened October 20, 1934 in a ceremony in which Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia participated in. Central Park at West 67th Street, New York, New York. Reservations (212) 873-3200.