This is the city’s only preserved 19th century family home, fully stocked with the same furnishings and decorations that filled the house when it was inhabited by the Tredwell family. Built in 1832 by Seabury Tredwell, an importer of hardware with a business downtown on Pearl St. This was the home of this large family for almost 100 years – from 1832 to 1933.

Architecturally the Merchant’s House is considered one of the finest examples of the period. The exterior façade is late Federal, with dormer windows and a fanlight above the front door. The interior of the house are Greek Revival. The formal parlors feature black & gold marble mantelpieces, Ionic double-column screen and mahogany pocket doors separate the rooms. Three floors of the house are available for viewing, including the ground floor with its original kitchen and one bedroom floor.

The House features many special events, exhibitions and tours throughout the year, including afternoon teas during the summer months in the pretty garden in back of the house. Note: The house can be rented for private parties, weddings, special events and film shoots. 29 E. 4th Street between Bowery and Lafayette St. (212) 777-1089