by Chris Hale                              address: 226 West 46th Street
8 July 2008                                               New York, NY 10036
                                                               Phone: 212-307-4100 

  The Richard Rodgers Theatre was built, in 1925, by Irwin and Henry Chanin with designs by architect Herbert J. Krapp and was originally named Chanin’s 46th Street Theatre. In 1931, the Shubert Organization bought the theatre and renamed it the 46th Street Theatre. The theatre was renovated, in 1982, and purchased by the Nederlander Organization, at which time, it was renamed the Richard Rodgers Theatre, in honor of the legendary composer. The Richard Rodgers Theatre was refurbished in 2006 and a Richard Rodgers Gallery of historic memorabilia is now on permanent display for theatre goers (located on the street level). The theatre seats 1400 and was built with the “Chanin’s democratic seating plan” where all theatre goers enter the theatre through the same entrance regardless of their ticket location. This theatre was the first not to have separate entrances for the various price levels of ticket holders. The Richard Rodgers Theatre has four bars for drinks and snacks, three are located on the street level and one on the mezzanine level. Among the successful productions at this theatre include: Anything Goes, Finian’s Rainbow, Guys and Dolls, Fences, Damn Yankees, Footloose, How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Disney’s Tarzan, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Seussical, Nine, Side Show, ChicagoLost in Yonkers, Movin’ Out, and the recent Tony Award-winning hit In The Heights.