by Chris Hale                                   Address: 220 West 48th Street
6 July 2008                                                     New York, NY 10036 
                                                                     Phone: 212–239–6200

   The Longacre Theatre was built in 1913 by producer/manager H.H. Frazee and designed by Henry B. Herts. This theatre was named after Longacre Square which is now Times Square. H.H. Frazee who was also the owner of the Boston Red Socks, became financially strapped for his theatrical ambitions, and sold Babe Ruth’s contract to the New York Yankees. As a result, superstitious producers think twice before financially backing new productions at this theatre. This theatre was used for a decade for radio and television shows until it returned to its theatrical roots in 1953 for Dorothy Parker’s The Ladies of the Corridor. The exterior of the Longacre Theatre is designed in French Neo-classical-style while the interior is in Beaux Arts-style. This mid-sized theatre seats 1091. Among the plays performed at this theatre includes: the Tony Award-winning Medea, Golden Child, the revival Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolff?, the revival Talk Radio, Ain’t Misbehavin’, Children of a Lesser God, and the recent comedy hit Boeing-Boeing.