by Chris Hale                            Address: 252 West 45th Street
6 July 2008                                              New York, NY 10036 
                                                              Phone:
(212) 239-6200

   The John Golden Theatre was built, in 1927, by the Chanin Brothers and designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp and was originally named the Theatre Masque. This theatre seats 800 in this more intimate setting designed for the more dramatic plays. The theatre was renamed in 1937 by producer John Golden when he took over its management. The John Golden Theatre is considered one of the smallest theatres owned by the Shubert Organization. The theatre is designed in Spanish Renaissance style including the interior with rough plaster walls, wrought iron fixtures and spiraled columns. The lounge on the lower level has a pay phone and water fountain while the restrooms are located up two flights of steps. The exterior of the John Golden Theatre was used for the movie version of A Chorus Line. At this theatre, notable performances include: Pulitzer Prize-winning The Gin Game, Falsettos, Terrence McNally’s Master Class, Pulitzer Prize-winning Crimes of the Heart, Pulitzer Prize-winning ‘night Mother, and the recent Tony Award-winning musical, Avenue Q.